Printable Version

Sale 5127

The "Patrick" Collection
of Naval Militaria, History & Related


Post-Civil War




Lot Photo Description
Lot 3168

U.S.S. Avenger, Ram, cover with manuscript endorsement "U S S Avenger, Off Mound City, Ill." and franked with a neatly cork-canceled 3¢ rose (65) with a clear Mound Cily, Ill. c.d.s., Jul 8 (1865), Very Fine.
Suggested Bid $100


Avenger was started by the Army but transferred to the Navy, entering service in February 1864 and assigned to the Mississippi River Squadron. She participated in the Red River Expedition and was ultimately sent to Mound City in July 1865 and soon afterward was decommissioned and sold at public auction.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3169

U.S.S. Baltimore, Protected Cruiser, partly-printed address label,"United States Cruiser Baltimore/Pacific Station" on a legal size cover to Old Point Comfort, Va. with "Pacific Station" crossed out and "Flagship, Naval Review Fleet, U.S. Navy Yard, New-York" written in, along with the date, Mar 17, 1893, and the signature of the sender, Geo. H. Cooke, Medical Inspector, U.S. Navy, two 1¢ & a 2¢ 1890 (219, 220) tied by Mar 17 New York duplexes, backstamped Fortress Monroe, Va., the next day; red wax seal stain shows through a bit, F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $100


Baltimore was commissioned in 1890 to serve as flagship of the North Atlantic Squadron. She then joined the European Squadron, followed by the Pacific Squadron, then the Asiatic Station, where she took part in the Battle of Manila Bay. She subsequently served with the Caribbean Squadron, the North Atlantic Fleet, the European Squadron and again the Asiatic Station. In 1914 she was converted to a minelayer and, during WWI, she laid mines off the north coast of Ireland and helped lay the "North Sea Mine Barrage" between Orkney Island and Norway. In September 1919 she rejoined the Pacific Fleet, serving as a receiving ship at Pearl Harbor, and was present at the time of the 1941 attack by the Japanese. She was scuttled there in 1944.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3170

U.S.S. Congress, Screw Sloop of War, 1873 cover addressed to "Chief Engr. E.B. Latch, U.S.Steamer Congress" in care of U.S. Despatch Agent, B.F. Stevens in London, franked with a cork-canceled 6¢ carmine (148) with an incomplete Philadelphia Sta. M c.d.s. alongside and a red Apr 1 London Paid receiver and a well-struck red B.F. Stevens "UNITED STATES/DESPATCH AGENT" oval of the same date.
Suggested Bid $50


Congress was commissioned in 1870, when she became flagship of the South Atlantic Squadron. From 1872 until 1876 she was part of the Mediterranean Squadron, visiting Philadelphia as part of the 1876 Centennial Exposition. She was decommissioned in July of that same year and eventually sold in September 1883 .
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3171

U.S.S. Congress, Screw Sloop of War, 1872 cover addressed to "Chief Engr. E.B. Latch, U.S.Steamer Congress" in care of U.S. Despatch Agent, B.F. Stevens in London, franked with a cork-canceled 6¢ carmine (148) with an incomplete May 21 Philadelphia Sta. M c.d.s. alongside and a red May 24 "New York/Paid All" tying the stamp; there is also a Jun 4 London Paid receiver and a lightly struck Jun 5 B.F. Stevens "UNITED STATES/DESPATCH AGENT" oval, both in red; upper right corner rounded affecting the stamp, Fine.
Suggested Bid $50


Congress was commissioned in 1870, when she became flagship of the South Atlantic Squadron. From 1872 until 1876 she was part of the Mediterranean Squadron, visiting Philadelphia as part of the 1876 Centennial Exposition. She was decommissioned in July of that same year and eventually sold in September 1883 .
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3172
()
U.S.S. Cushing, Torpedo Boat, front only of a Navy Department penalty envelope with a printed "U. S. Torpedo Boat Cushing" corner card; reinforced crease across top, otherwise Fine and rare.
Suggested Bid $50


Cushing was commissioned April 22, 1890. As the first torpedo boat built for the Navy, she was attached to the Squadron of Evolution and equipped for experimental work to complete the developement of torpedo outfits and to gather data for the service. During the Spanish-American War she was assigned to patrol the Caribbean Cays, capturing five vessels. From 1901 to 1911 she was attached to the Reserve Torpedo Flotilla at Norfolk and was sunk after use as a target in 1920.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3173

U.S.S. Dacotah, Screw Sloop of War, cover with manuscript endorsement "U.S.S. 'Dacotah'", franked with a cork-canceled 3¢ Pictorial (114) and postmarked with a partial Aug 26, Athol, Mass. c.d.s., addressed to George S. Gates U.S.N., Care of Navy Agent, San Francisco Cal., F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $75


Dacotah joined the East Indian Squadron in 1860 cruising off China. During the Civil War she was part of the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, serving around Hampton Roads, and as part of the James River Flotilla. In 1864 she rejoined the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron at Beaufort, N.C., and in 1866 she sailed to the Pacific serving off the coasts of South and Central America, Mexico and California.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3174

U.S.S. Franklin, Screw Frigate, small 1874 cover addressed to "Midshipman T.B. Howard, U.S. Flagship Franklin" in care of U.S. Despatch Agent, B.F. Stevens in London, franked with a target-canceled 6¢ rose (14) and tied by an incomplete July Galena, Ill. c.d.s.; there is a faint red "New York/Paid All" c.d.s., an Aug 3 London receiver, and an Aug 4 B.F. Stevens "UNITED STATES/DESPATCH AGENT", all in red; reduced slightly at the left, F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $100


Franklin was launched in 1864 having been partially constructed from parts of the previous Franklin, a Ship of the Line. She served as flagship of the European Squadron from 1867 until 1871, when she was decommissioned. She was recalled in 1873 to serve with the North Atlantic Squadron until 1877, then was used as a receiving ship at Norfolk until 1915 when she was sold.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3175

U.S.S. Gettysburg, Side-Wheel Gunboat, 1878 cover addressed to "Lt. G.P. Colvocoresses, U.S.S. Gettysburg" in care of U.S. Despatch Agent, B.F. Stevens in London, franked with a 10¢ brown (161) tied by a Feb 8 New York Sta. "23" duplex with a clear red Feb 20 B.F. Stevens "UNITED STATES/DESPATCH AGENT" oval and a red London backstamp of the same date; reduced somewhat at the right and small tear at the lower left, F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $60


Gettysburg was originally named Douglas and operated for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company in the United Kingdom until 1862, when she was sold to the Confederacy. She was renamed Margaret and Jessie and operated as a blockade-runner until her capture by the Union in November 1863. At that time she was renamed Gettysburg and commissioned into the Union Navy in May 1864. During her military service she operated with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, participated in both attacks on Fort Fisher. She helped lay telegraph cables between Key West and Havana, and undertook navigational surveys of the Caribbean and Mediterranean. She was sold in 1879.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3176

U.S.S. Hartford, Screw Sloop of War, unfranked 1878 cover with manuscript endorsement "Ship's letter, U.S.S. Hartford", entering the mails in London and handstamped "T/1-10" due and, in New York, the equivalent and "33 Cents" with the arc "U.S. CHARGE/TO/COLLECT"; postmarked on the reverse with "London/NE/MR 14/78" (red) and "New York/F.D., Mar 24" c.d.s.s; reduced slightly at the right, F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $100


Hartford was the flagship of Farragut's West Gulf Blockading Squadron at New Orleans, Mobile Bay and on the Mississippi up to Vicksburg. Twelve of her crewmen were awarded the Medal of Honor. She was flagship of the Asiatic Squadron from 1872 until 1875, the North Atlantic Squadron until March 1884, and in the Pacific until decommissioned in 1887. She was later rebuilt and recommissioned, serving variously as a training and cruise ship for midshipmen, and a station ship at Charleston. She was decommissioned 1926 and eventually towed to Norfolk Navy Yard where she sank at her berth.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3177

U.S.S. Kearsarge, Screw Sloop of War, 1885 cover addressed to "Asst. Eng. Frank W. Barllett, U.S.S. Quinnebaug" in care of U.S. Despatch Agent, B.F. Stevens in London, franked with a 5¢ brown (205) tied by a Detroit, Mich. duplex, Sep 2, 1885, with a Sep 4 "Detroit/Direct" c.d.s. alongside, redirected to Southampton with violet handstamps and a matching Sep 15 B.F. Stevens "UNITED STATES/DESPATCH AGENT" oval; there is a Charing Cross W.C. squared circle on the front and London & Southampton backstamps, all on Sep 15; edge wear, Fine. This cover would have been carried on the steamer Richmond, which left New York on Sep 6., .
Suggested Bid $75


Kearsarge was best known for her defeat of the Confederate Commerce raider Alabama. She was built in 1861 under the American Civil War emergency ship building program. She was launched on September 11, 1861, and was commissioned on January 24, 1862, with Captain Charles Pickering in command. After the war she served in the South Pacific watching over American interests along the coast of South America. In 1868 she was called on to land provisions for earthquake victims in Peru. She cruised for the Asiatic Squadron for three years protecting American citizens and commerce in China, Japan and the Philippines. In 1879 she began four years of duty in the North Atlantic and in 1883 she began three years service cruisng the waters of the Mediterranean, Northern Europe and the West Coast of Africa. In 1888 she began protecting interests in the West Indies and continued to do so until she wrecked on a reef off Roncador Cay.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3178

U.S.S. Kenosha, Screw Sloop, 3¢ pink entire (U58) with three 3¢ 1869 Pictorials (114) addressed to "Ensign J.N. Hemphill U.S.N., U.S.Steam Ship Kenosha" in care of U.S. Despatch Agent, B.F. Stevens in London, canceled with blue Delaware, O. c.d.s.'s, Jul 26 (1869), red Jul 28 "New York/Paid All" and Aug 7 London c.d.s.'s and a very light Jul 8 B.F. Stevens "UNITED STATES/DESPATCH AGENT"; includes a photocopy of the family letter from Hemphill's father plus the original note from his mother that was also enclosed; reduced into the indicia at the right, a bit soiled, about Fine. Letters to the Kenosha are quite scarce due to the short time span between her launch and her being renamed Plymouth, with a 1983 P.F. certificate.
Suggested Bid $120


Kenosha was laid down in 1867 in New York Navy Yard. She cruised across the Atlantic and while at the European Station was renamed Plymouth.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3179

U.S.S. Lackawanna, Screw Sloop of War, cover addressed to "Mr. G.H. Cloude, U.S.S. Lackawanna, Care Navy Pay Agent, San Francisco, California", franked with a cork-canceled 3¢ green (158)and postmarked with an Oct 23 Annapolis, Md. c.d.s. and bearing a nice strike of a purple Fouled Anchor handstamp "Forwarded by/United States/Navy Pay Office/'Don't Give Up The Ship'/San Francisco/484 California Street"; opened a bit roughly at the right, damaging the stamp, otherwise Very Fine.
Suggested Bid $100


Lackawanna was commissioned January 1863 to join the West Gulf Blockading Squadron at Pensacola, where she served until the end of the war. In 1866 she sailed to Hawaii and in 1867 she took possession of Midway Island. She continued to operate in the Hawaiian Islands and along the coasts of California and Mexico until decommissioned in 1871. Returning to duty in 1872, she served in the Far East until 1875 and then again in 1880 during the War of the Pacific. She served in the South Pacfic until being decommissioned and sold in 1887.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3180

U.S.S. Maine, Spanish-American War Patriotic postcard featuring the Maine, franked with a 5¢ Trans-Miss. tied by a St. Louis machine cancel, Sep 16, 1898, message in German and sent to Koenigstein, Germany, with a Sep 29 receiver of that town; minor corner crease at the lower right, F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $70
.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3181

U.S.S. Miantonomoh, Ironclad Monitor, cover addressed to "Lt. Commr. B.J. Cromwell, U.S.S. Miantonomoh, Portland, Me.", franked with a grid-canceled 3¢ 1869 Pictorial (114) and postmarked Philadelphia, Jan 27 (1870), F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $75


Miantonomoh was the lead ship of her class of ironclad Monitors built for the Navy during the Civil War. She was commissioned in 1865 and assigned to the North Atlantic Squadron. She was the first ironclad Monitor to cross the Atlantic. She was primarily responsible for transporting Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Gustavus Fox, to various places in Europe projecting power and the flag. She later served along the New England coast and was decommissioned at Boston in July 1870.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3182

U.S.S. New Orleans, Screw Sloop, cover addressed to "Lieut. Edwards F. Leiper U.S.N., U.S.S. 'New Orleans', Santiago [de Cuba] Via Key West, Florida", franked with a 2¢ pink (267a) tied by a Philadelphia machine cancel, Jun 23, 1898, during the Spanish-American War; includes family original letter, Very Fine.
Suggested Bid $50


New Orleans was originally laid down by the Brazilian Navy under the name Amazonas in 1895 and was purchased by the U.S. Navy in March of 1898. In the Spanish-American War with the Flying Squadron off the coast of Santiago de Cuba, she participated in the bombardment of the batteries at the entrance to the harbor. In 1899 she joined the Asiatic Fleet and for the next five years served as flagship for the Cruiser Squadron. She also served as station ship at Vladivostok, Russia, supporting the Allied forces in Siberia form 1920-22.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3183

U.S.S. Newark, Protected Cruiser, cover addressed to "Lieut. Comr. Wm. N. Turner USN, U. S. S. Newark, Santiago, Cuba", franked with a 2¢ Trans-Miss. (286) neatly tied by a Cincinnati, O. flag cancel, Sep 16, 1898, Very Fine.
Suggested Bid $100


Newark was commissioned in 1891 and served in both the North Atlantic Squadron the South Atlantic Squadron. She participated in the Spanish-American War, the Philippine-American War and the Boxer Rebellion. She later served as a training ship at the U.S. Naval Academy and as a station ship at Guantanamo Bay. In 1912 she served the Public Health Service as a quarantine hulk for the hospital in Providence, R.I. During WWI she served as an annex to the Naval Hospital at Newport and then was used by the Public Health Service until she was disposed of by the Navy in 1926.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3184

U.S.S. Nipsic, Screw Gunboat, cover addressed to "Midn. Jos. B Murdock. U.S. Ship 'Nipsic', Charlotte Town, Prince Edward Island", franked with a pair of cork-canceled 3¢ green (147) with a Portsmouth, N.H. c.d.s., Sep 13 (1870) and backstamped at Charlotte Town on Sep 16; the very interesting letter is from a fellow sailor who is waiting to report to the U.S.S. California when she sails in October; he also mentions at least nine other ships by name including the Narragansett, with "Capt. Gen. Dewey", notes "of course you have heard of Farragut's death. Porter is Ad - Rowan Vice - Cooke & Fitch Commanders", and passes along the latest "Base Ball" scores; cover reduced slightly at the left, stamps with slight perforation damage due to edge placement, F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $100


Nipsic was commissioned in 1863. She joined the blockade at Charleston in November 1865 and served there until the end of the war. In June 1864 she took the schooner Julia as the blockade-runner attempted to enter the port. She then primarily served with the South Atlantic Blockading squadron off the coast of Brazil and in the West Indies to protect American commerce until she was decommissioned in 1873.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3185
()
U.S.S. Nipsic, Screw Gunboat, blue double-lined circle handstamped corner card "U.S.SHIP./NIPSIC", illustrated with a full-rigged three-masted ship on a somewhat-crudely rebacked cover front franked with a 3¢ green (158) with a fancy cork cancel and tied by a Nov 30 Portsmouth, Va. c.d.s., some toning, but reasonaly attractive and very rare.
Suggested Bid $50


Nipsic was commissioned in 1863. She joined the blockade at Charleston in November 1865 and served there until the end of the war. In June 1864 she took the schooner Julia as the blockade-runner attempted to enter the port. She then primarily served with the South Atlantic Blockading squadron off the coast of Brazil and in the West Indies to protect American commerce until she was decommissioned in 1873.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3186

U.S.S. Raleigh, Protected Cruiser, printed illustration of the Raleigh serving as a corner card on a cover from Gibraltar to Providence, R.I., franked with a Queen Victoria 25c ultramarine (32) tied by a Gibraltar "A26" duplex, May 29, 1897; opening tears at the top, affect the illustration somewhat, stamp slightly damaged, Fine. A rare illustrated ship's corner card. The ship is not identified by name but is identical to photos of the Raleigh which, when this cover was mailed, would have been on her way to report for duty on the European Station at Smyrna., .
Suggested Bid $100


Raleigh joined the North Atlantic Squadron in 1895 where she served for two years. In mid-1897 she joined the European Station and then, in 1898, the Asiatic Station. She performed admirably in the Spanish-American War where she is credited with firing the 1st shot of the Battle of Manila Bay. She spent several years cruising the Pacific waters in support of diplomatic missions, then was assigned to the Pacific Reserve Squadron. She served as a station ship in Mexican ports from 1913 to 1917, then joined Patrol Force, Atlantic Fleet at Newport, R.I. In June 1918 she joined the American Patrol Detachment at Key West and continued to serve there through the end of the war and was decommissioned in 1919.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3187

U.S.S. Richmond, Screw Sloop, cover with manuscript endorsement "U.S.S. Richmond" and sent to "Dr. E. Kershner, U.S.N., in care of U.S. Despatch Agent, B.F. Stevens in London; franked with a target-canceled pair of 3¢ green (147) with an illegible postmark, a partial red "New York/Paid All" c.d.s. and a B.F. Stevens "UNITED STATES/DESPATCH AGENT" handstamp, Feb 1, 1871, and a London backstamp of the same date, Fine.
Suggested Bid $50


Richmond participated in every West Gulf Blockading Squadron undertaking in the Civil War, during which 33 crewmembers were awarded the Medal of Honor - more than any other ship. After the war she served with the West Indies Squadron, and as flagship of the South Pacific Station, the Asiatic Squadron, the North Atlantic Squadron, and the South Atlantic Station. She served as a training ship in Rhode Island, then as a receiving ship in Philadelphia, and finally as an auxillary receiving ship at Norfolk until the end of World War I. In 1919 she was decommissioned and sold.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3188

U.S.S. Shenandoah, Screw Sloop, cover with manuscript endorsement "U.S. Str. Shenandoah, Fayal, Jany. 12th 1865" [actually 1866], franked with a 3¢ Rose (65) tied by a Feb 16 "NEW YORK SHIP/6 CTS." with an additional straightline "Due 3", to Philadelphia; includes original four-page letter from Ship's Captain, John R. Goldsborough to his wife, datelined "U.S. Str. Shenandoah, Fayal Western Isle, January 1st. 1865" [1866], tells a bit about the voyage across the Atlantic to the Azores, leaving on Dec 19; small opening tears at the top, stamp slightly damaged, Fine. The 3¢ due is the unpaid postage for destinations beyond the port of entry., .
Suggested Bid $75


Shenandoah , with a complement of 175, was commissioned in June and cruised from the Carolinas to Key West searching for blockade-runners. She played an import role in both Battles of Fort Fisher. She was decommissioned in June and recommissioned in November of the same year under the command of John R. Goldsborough, sailing for the Azores in September and eventually joining the South American Squadron followed by the Asiatic Squadron.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3189

South Atlantic Squadron, unfranked cover to Walpole, N.H. with manuscript endorsement "From South Atlantic Squadron" and "Per Bark Fannie", postmarked "NEW YORK SHIP/6 cts.", c.d.s., Feb 17 (1867 - docketing), F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $75
.
View details and enlarged photos
Lot 3190

U.S.S. Susquehanna, Side-Wheel Frigate, cover addressed to "Chief Engineer, John Johnson U.S.N., U.S. Steamer Susquehanna, Navy Yard, New York", franked with a 3¢ rose (65) tied by a Philadelphia duplex, Jun 28, 1866; reduced slightly at the left, Very Fine.
Suggested Bid $50


Susquehanna served the North Atlantic, South Atlantic and West Gulf Blockading Squadrons. In addition to blockading duty, she was at Hatteras Inlet, Port Royal and Hampton Roads. At Fort Fisher she was under the command of Commodore Sylvanus Godon. After the war she served as flagship of the North Atlantic Squadron from 1866 until 1868, when she was decommissioned, ultimately being sold for scrap in 1883.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3191

U.S.S. Tuscarora, Screw Sloop, unfranked cover with manuscript endorsement "Ships Letter, U.S.S. 'Tuscarora'" postmarked with a Dec 15 "N.Y. STEAMSHIP/10" due c.d.s., to Benton Harbor, Mich., reduced just a tad at the left, Very Fine. This marking was used between 1866 and 1874, .
Suggested Bid $70


Tuscarora, commissioned in late 1861, immediately sailed under orders to capture or sink the C.S.S. Nashville docked at Southampton, England. When English law prevented her pursuit, she trapped the raider Sumter at Gibraltar, resulting in her being abandoned. She searched for the Alabama, then the Tacony before joining the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron in 1864. From 1866 to 1869 she served with the South Pacific Squadron.
View details and enlarged photo
Lot 3192

U.S.S. Vermont, Ship of the Line, printed corner card, "U. S. Receiving Ship 'Vermont', Navy Yard, New York", on a cover franked with a 3¢ rose (65) tied by a New-York grid duplex, Apr 10 (1867), to Gill, Mass.; includes original letter on matching Vermont Pey Department letterhead, expressing condolences on the loss of a loved one., F.-V.F.
Suggested Bid $75


Vermont was started in 1818 but not commissioned until 1862 when she joined the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. There she served variously as an ordnance, hospital, receiving and stores ship until 1864, when she was ordered to New York, remaining there for 37 years, serving both as store ship and receiving ship. She was condemned in 1901 and sold in April 1902.
View details and enlarged photos








Daniel F. Kelleher Auctions, LLC
The Oldest Philatelic Auction House in the United States, established in 1885.
 
Administrative Office:
22 Shelter Rock Lane, Unit 53
Danbury, CT 06810, USA

Tel: 203.830.2500
Fax: 203.297.6059
  Boston Area Office:
181 Wells Avenue, Suite 105
Newton, MA 02459, USA

Tel: 781.453.0990
Fax: 781.453.0945
 

info@kelleherauctions.com

 

payments accepted via:

 

follow us on: